Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Day 123, Dec 24




Thank you Hong Kong. I will be back sooner rather than later. It was a wild ride with the places I visited, the people I met and the experiences I had. Hong Kong you taught me to never settle and  never sleep. Literally and figuratively the lights do not shine brighter than in Hong Kong. Those same lights guided my night hikes, pointed out the way when I was lost on the streets, and left me mesmerized with vivid visual chaos. Symbolically they stood for the pressure of the educational institution, of the income disparity and the media presence during my time there. But a few months in, those massive buildings, lush hills and blinding lights brought me a sense of calm and feeling of belonging.

To the University of Hong Kong, you truly fulfilled your awkward song. It really was a period of working hard and playing hard, but much more of the latter. As an educational institution I was disappointed at first, but drawn in by the commitment to the students' goals, and the willingness of the administration and students to support a greater cause. Ultimately, I will fondly look back on my classes with the intensive group projects and bizarre teaching methods. The green gowns, strict rules, and high table dinners made it an interesting place to study for sure.

To the people that made my trip. You know who you are and I cannot thank you enough for the times we spent together, for the willingness and curiosity you exhibited, and finally for the compassion you showed me. I will not forget those moments: from the nights on top of the Pokfield Residences, to the crazy tuk tuk rides, 3 AM dim sum, bamboo rafting, provocative art museums, beach camping, hikes, plane rides, curry fish balls, and to the unforgettable days spent just living in the craziness that is Hong Kong. Because of you each time I look at the pictures I can't help but miss it. It's sad, but true.

As my next semester is beginning and a new adventure is starting, I just want to put down in words that this past journey was unbelievable and holds a deserving place in my heart. As my plane touched down in Los Angeles I was left with the truth that "nothing gold can stay" and that all good comes to an end. I know that when I go back, the group will be different, and the city will have changed. Yet that shouldn't be a deterrent for creating the next experience that lasts a lifetime.

I won't be sad it's over, but be glad it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment